Purpose of this Tummy Tuck Today Information Site
The purpose of this web site is to provide information in general regarding Tummy Tucks. The information here is just for educational purposes only and reflect the expert opinion of one plastic surgeon and one practice. We believe that a web site like this is needed to help provide more information regarding this operation. But the bulk of your information should be tailored to you situation with an one-on-one consultation with your plastic surgeon. We are very passionate about body contouring for the abdomen and we hope to share a good part of knowledge here with you.
Tummy Tuck Defined
Tummy Tuck is also known as an abdominoplasty. It is a surgical procedure to improve the shape of the abdomen area. Tummy Tuck surgery can be inpatient or outpatient – meaning some surgeons and patients want or require to have an overnight stay at the hospital. But usually the procedure in our practice is an outpatient procedure – meaning there is no overnight stay.
Tummy Tuck Components
- Excision and removal of the excess skin and fat
- Tightening of the abdominal muscles. Sometimes this gets loose after pregnancy. Surgeons usually call this plication of the anterior rectus fascia.
- Reconstruction of the belly button (umbilicus)
However there are variations on these components depending on each person’s individual situation. Sometimes the terms mini tummy tuck or tummy tuck without muscle tightening is used to describe some of these variants.
How is a Tummy Tuck different from a Panniculectomy?
You may or may not have heard of the term panniculectomy. This is a procedure – sometimes covered by insurance – which involves step 1 of the 3 components of a full tummy tuck. This part by itself which is the removal of the excess skin and fat, and then suturing the edges together does not involve any operations on the muscles or belly button itself. Thus a lot of times the panniculectomy is done for medically related problems such as skin infections in the area known as the abdominal pannus or “apron”.
How long is the Tummy Tuck surgery?
it usually takes between 2.5-3 hours for a full tummy tuck and 1.5 hours for a mini tummy tuck. This is just the time for the surgery itself. It doesn’t take into account for preoperative and postoperative care at the hospital or surgery center.
Goals of this Tummy Tuck Info Web Site
- Different types of Tummy Tucks – ie, mini, full
- A Tummy Tuck is different from a Panniculectomy
- Insurances might cover Panniculectomies but not for Tummy Tucks which they consider cosmetic surgery.
- Why we prefer a Tummy Tuck over a Panniculectomy almost every time.
- The usage of liposuction as an adjunct
- Tummy Tuck is not a weight loss procedure
- Tummy Tucks effect on the umbilicus
- Tummy Tuck operation combined with a umbilical hernia
- Tummy Tuck operation combined with other cosmetic surgeries
- Tummy Tuck Muscle Tightening
- Tummy Tuck Incisions
- Risks of Tummy Tucks
- Costs of Tummy Tuck surgery, the components
- How about Pregnancy?
- Modesto Area Hospitals which we use for Tummy Tuck surgeries
- Frequently asked questions
Tummy Tuck Resources on the web:
Other Great Health Related Links on the web:
- Please visit Dana’s Gluten Free Recipes Blog.
This Tummy Tuck Educational Website is Provided by Dr. Tammy Wu, Modesto Plastic Surgeon, and her Tummy Tuck assistant Dr. Calvin Lee.
- Dr. Tammy Wu works with Dr. Calvin Lee and their group practice is called Surgical Artistry
- Dr. Tammy Wu is a board certified plastic surgeon
- Dr. Calvin Lee is a board certified general surgeon
- Location: 4754 Dale Road, Modesto, CA 95356 (we moved March 2019)
- Modesto is in Central Valley California
- Telephone number (209) 551-1888
- Website: www.SurgeryToday.com and this one www.TummyTuckToday.com
- More information about Dr. Tammy Wu, Modesto Plastic Surgeon.
- Dr. Tammy Wu & Dr. Calvin Lee.
Surgical Artistry, Modesto, CA.
Dr. Tammy Wu on Google+